Visitors to the Purcell City Lake are advised to forego swimming in its waters - at least for the next couple of weeks.

City manager Dale Bunn said before Monday’s city council meeting that signs discouraging swimming in the lake were posted at the beach area after tests detected a high bacteria count in the water.

The city tests the lake water on a regular basis, Bunn said.

The council moved quickly through a light agenda before going into executive session to discuss the ongoing search for land on which to build a new hospital. Bunn said before the session that negotiations are progressing with the owner of a suitable tract.

The council gave its approval for the fire department to contract with an outside company to bill businesses and insurance companies for the department’s time and services.

Fire chief Greg Cypert told the council there are occasions when fire trucks and firefighters spend hours standing by at the scene of an accident on I-35. By using this company, the department will recoup some of the expense incurred in answering those calls.

The company will keep 20 percent of each claim paid and the department will receive the other 80 percent.

The council also reappointed Karla Brakefield and Valerye Haley to two-year terms on the Senior Citizens Board and mayor Ted Cox reappointed Charles Sherman to a like term.

In other business, the council removed 916 N. 9th St., from a list of dilapidated structures and tabled for 60 and 30 days, respectively, action declaring as dilapidated homes at 304 W. Delaware and 120 N. 6th St. The city paid $2,800 to demolish a dilapidated house at 303 W. Delaware.

Council members also approved a budget amendment of $129,233.86 for the fiscal year which ended Sunday.

You must be logged in to react.
Click any reaction to login.
0
0
0
0
0